If you have recently lost a tooth, you may be exploring your options for filling in the gap. While there are several options available to you, which one you choose may depend upon your medical condition, the nature of the tooth loss, whether you are looking for a restorative or cosmetic solution.
Below are some of the most common solutions for replacing a missing tooth. Which one is right for you?
During a dental implant, a dentist inserts the device into the area of the jawbone where the original tooth was located. The dental implant acts as a platform for the original tooth (if you still have it) or a replacement fabricated tooth. Once the implant is securely attached to the jawbone, the dentist attaches the crown.
What are the benefits of a dental implant?
- 95% long-term success rate
- A permanent and durable solution
- Comfortable, natural, appealing
- Require little maintenance
- Prevents jawbone tissue loss
Fixed Bonded Bridges
Bonded bridges can be used to replace one or more missing teeth. The specialist bonds the bridge in place permanently. Like implants, bridges are designed to improve both the function and the appearance of your teeth. So if you are looking for a long-term solution that you can count on for many years to come, a bonded bridge is a wise option.
The benefits of a bonded bridge include:
- Look and perform like natural teeth
- Non-removable fixture
- More affordable than standard implants
- Forms a cohesive bond and design with adjacent teeth
In some cases, a removable denture may be a better option for replacing a missing tooth than a permanent fixture. A removable partial or complete denture includes a set of replacement teeth fixed to a gum-colored base. The denture may contain a metal clasp or connectors to that attach your original teeth. You can remove the dentures to clean them in a solution or by brushing them.
The benefits of dentures include:
- A significant improvement over multiple missing, worn down, or decayed teeth
- Supports and restores muscles in the cheeks and lips and face
- Improves mouth function such as talking and eating
- Affordable and efficient treatment
- A more cohesive and natural look across the front of the mouth
- Form-fitted perfectly to your mouth’s contour
What to Consider When Choosing Treatment
There are several things to consider when choosing the best treatment for a missing tooth such as:
- Your medical history and health
- The condition of your teeth, gums, jawbone, mouth
- Permanent vs. removable pros and cons
- Restorative vs cosmetic solutions
- Cost and insurance
Your dentist can meet with you to go over all of your options, give you a complete examination and make a recommendation based on your individual needs.
Schedule a Consultation With Dr. Kreyman Today!
Do you need a checkup, a tooth cleaning, or an oral surgery? If so, then contact Z&I Dental Center. Our clinic is here to provide exceptional dental care to patients in Brooklyn, New York.
To schedule a consultation or treatment, call us today at (718) 376-7820. You can also send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org.